Before you perform a transaction on your Viriva Checking Account, you should always try to make sure you have sufficient funds available, so as to avoid overdraft fees or, even worse, the much dreaded declined transaction! We understand that life happens and unexpected overdrafts may occur from time to time. Our overdraft coverage options can help!
To protect yourself against the embarrassment and excess fees that may be associated with a declined purchase and/or returned check, here is what you need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees.
We offer three options:
- Overdraft Protection Link to Another Deposit Account you have at Viriva1 - $1.00 fee per transfer
- Overdraft Protection Line of Credit1,2 - $1.00 per transfer + interest
- Overdraft Privilege (As a last resort to qualified members) - $30.00 overdraft fee per item
1 Contact Us or come by a branch to sign up or apply for these services. 2 Subject to credit approval.
Overdraft protection services apply to all transactions and may help prevent overdrafts by automatically transferring funds to your checking account from another account or line of credit you may have at Viriva for a fee or finance charge. Please note that overdraft lines of credit are subject to credit approval.
Overdraft Privilege allows you to overdraw your account up to a certain limit for a fee in order to pay a transaction. Even if you have overdraft protection, Overdraft Privilege is still available as secondary coverage if the other protection source is exhausted.
You will receive a letter approximately 30 days after you open a consumer checking account, or after 60 days for business accounts, informing you that Overdraft Privilege has been activated on your account. You do not have Overdraft Privilege until you receive this notification.
Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not included in your available balance displayed through internet banking, mobile banking, telephone banking or Viriva ATMs.
When Overdraft Privilege is used, the Overdraft Fee of $30.00 will be imposed for overdrafts created by checks, ACH, point-of-sale, ATM withdrawals, in-person withdrawals, or by other electronic means. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed the appropriate fee. This is a lower fee than Viriva charges for items returned to the payee due to insufficient funds.
All fees and charges will be included as part of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn in excess of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount as a result of the assessment of a fee. The total negative balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand. Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all such amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure.
The types of transactions covered by Overdraft Privilege depend on the coverage selected. See the chart below for more information.
If you choose Extended Coverage, all the transaction types listed in Standard Coverage are included, along with ATM withdrawals and everyday debit card transactions. Viriva will not authorize overdrafts for everyday debit card and ATM transactions on consumer accounts unless you give us your consent to pay these overdrafts by electing Extended Coverage. Business accounts automatically have Overdraft Privilege Extended Coverage.
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts caused by ATM and everyday debit card transactions (Extended Coverage), tell us by Contacting Us directly or complete a Consent Form to have Extended Coverage on your account.
NOTE: Business accounts automatically have access to Overdraft Privilege for ATM and everyday debit card transactions (Extended Coverage).
You can request to discontinue the Overdraft Privilege service in its entirety at any time by Contacting Us. Without Overdraft Privilege, your insufficient funds items will be returned to the payee and/or declined at the point of purchase, unless you have overdraft protection available to cover the item(s). You will be charged the standard Return Non-Sufficient Fund (NSF) Fee of $35.00 for all returned items.
- A link to another account or a line of credit is a less expensive option than an overdraft. A single larger overdraft will result in just one fee, as opposed to multiple smaller overdrafts. Good account management is the best way to avoid overdrafts. Use our mobile banking, Internet banking, and telephone banking services to keep track of your balance. For additional financial education resources, please visit www.mymoney.gov.
- The $30 Overdraft Fee is lower than the fee that is charged if a check is returned as unpaid. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed an appropriate Overdraft Fee or a Return Non-Sufficient Fund (NSF) Fee of $35. All fees and charges will be included as part of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn in excess of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount as a result of a fee.
- If an item is returned because the available balance in your account is not sufficient to cover the item and the item is presented for payment again, Viriva Community Credit Union will charge a Return Non-Sufficient Fund (NSF) Fee each time it returns the item because it exceeds the available balance in your account. If, on representment of the item, the available balance in your account is sufficient to cover the item Viriva Community Credit Union may pay the item, and, if payment causes an overdraft, charge an overdraft fee.
- For consumer accounts, there is no limit of Overdraft Fees per day we will charge. These exceptions do not apply to business accounts.
- We generally post items in the following order: 1) ATM/Debit Pin-based transactions post real time, 2) Debit Signature based transactions - authorizations post real time, 3) ACH Posting for credits - in the order received, 4) Bill payer -in the order received, 5) ACH Posting for debits - in the order received, 6) Share Drafts – post from low to high by dollar amount. However, because of the many ways we allow you to access your account, the posting order of individual items may differ from these general policies. Holds on funds (described below) and the order in which transactions are posted may impact the total amount of Overdraft Fees or Return Non-Sufficient Fund (NSF) Fees assessed.
- Although under payment system rules, Viriva Community Credit Union may be obligated to pay some unauthorized debit card transactions, Viriva Community Credit Union will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless there are available funds (including Overdraft Coverage Options) to cover the transactions and any fee(s).
- Giving us your consent to pay every day debit card and ATM overdrafts on your consumer account may result in you incurring Overdraft Fees for transactions that we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing an Overdraft Fee. However, this would allow us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Overdraft Privilege limit and may also help you avoid overdrafts in excess of your available funds that could result in suspension of your debit card. If you consent to Extended Coverage on your consumer account, it will remain on your account until it is otherwise withdrawn.
- Viriva Community Credit Union authorizes and pays transactions using the available balance in your account. Viriva Community Credit Union may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure, which will reduce the amount in your available balance. The available balance for checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions is comprised of the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus the amount of the Overdraft Privilege limit and any available overdraft protection. The available balance for ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with Standard Coverage is the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus any available overdraft protection, but does NOT include the Overdraft Privilege Limit. For accounts with Extended Coverage, the Overdraft Privilege Limit is included in the available balance for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions.
- Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not included in your balance provided through online banking, mobile banking or Viriva Community Credit Union’s ATMs.
- Viriva Community Credit Union will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends the funds will be added to the available balance in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the available balance and the transaction is posted to the available balance, an Overdraft Fee may be assessed.
- Except as described in this letter, Viriva Community Credit Union will not pay items if your account does not contain available funds (including the Overdraft Privilege limit) to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
- Viriva Community Credit Union may suspend your debit card if you incur overdrafts in excess of the available balance in your account, including any Overdraft Privilege limit (as described in this letter). Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your available balance, taking into account any Overdraft Privilege limit, is positive and then you contact us.
- Viriva Community Credit Union may also suspend your debit card if your account is overdrawn more than thirty (30) consecutive calendar days. Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your account balance is positive.
- Viriva Community Credit Union may also suspend your debit card if we are unable to contact you due to an incorrect mailing address or phone number(s). You must contact us with your correct mailing address and/or phone number(s) to have your debit card reinstated.
- If your debit card is suspended, you will be unable to use your debit card(s) for purchases or to access your account(s) associated with the debit card(s) at the ATM while your debit card is suspended. If you use your debit card for recurring payments, e.g., utilities, you are responsible to make other arrangements for your recurring debit payment(s).
- An Overdraft Privilege limit of up to $750 will be granted to eligible consumer checking accounts opened at least 30 days in good standing.
- An Overdraft Privilege limit of up to $500 will be granted to eligible Business Checking accounts opened at least 60 days in good standing.
- Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Overdraft Privilege may be suspended if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within thirty (30) days for a minimum of one business day. You must bring your account balance positive for at least 24 hours to have the full Overdraft Privilege limit reinstated.
- Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure. The total (negative) balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.