Your Dreams Are Within Reach
Our scholarship contest brings students closer to achieving their academic endeavors by providing up to $4,000 in scholarships.
Awards can be used to pay for school expenses, such as tuition, books, computers, and more. Apply today, and you could get the funds you need to achieve your dreams.
Sallie Mae's Smart Option Student Loan
Choose the student loan that's right for you! The Smart Option Student Loan® by Sallie Mae® is for borrowers attending degree-granting institutions.
Whether you’re an undergraduate, graduate, or parent— our partner Sallie Mae® has options to meet your specific needs. Their loans are ideal solutions to help you pay for college expenses not covered by scholarships and federal loans.
Scholarship Contest Information
Viriva Provides up to $4,000 in Total Awards Annually
- Two (2) $1,000 Scholarships to be awarded to qualifying high school seniors entering their freshman year of college or trade/technical school
- One (1) $1,000 Scholarship to be awarded to a qualifying college or trade/technical school student entering their sophomore, junior, or senior year
- Two (2) $500 High School Scholarships to be awarded to qualifying high school students entering their freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year
Student members with a minimum GPA of 2.5 that are beginning or continuing their education in high school, trade/technical school, or college may be eligible to participate in Viriva's Scholarship Contest.
Applicants MUST be a primary member of Viriva (defined as a primary Savings Account holder) before the scholarship deadline. Immediate family members of Scholarship Committee members cannot apply for the scholarship during the year served. Staff, volunteers, and their immediate family members are not qualified.
► Highschool Program Eligibility
- 8th-grade students entering high school
- Existing high school students in their Freshmen, Sophomore, or Junior year
► College Program Eligibility
- High school seniors entering their Freshman year of college or trade school
► Continuing College Program Eligibility
- College students with no break in their education entering their Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year of college or trade school
Who is eligible to join Viriva?
- Anyone who lives, works, worships, attends school, or volunteers in Bucks, Delaware, Montgomery, or Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania
- Immediate family members of existing members
► How to join:
Interested scholarship applicants who are not currently members of Viriva may apply for membership any time before the scholarship deadline. The membership requirement is a minimum $5 deposit to open a Savings Account. Connect With Us for more information.
► Interested Scholarship Applicants Can Join
Interested scholarship applicants who are not current members of Viriva may apply for membership at any time before the scholarship deadline. To join, open a Share Savings Account with a minimum deposit of $5.00 to become a primary member of Viriva.
Membership is open to anyone who lives, works, worships, attends school, or volunteers in Bucks, Delaware, Montgomery, or Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania. Immediate family members of existing members are also eligible for membership.
► Why Join Viriva?
- When it comes to banking – owning is better! We are a different kind of financial institution. When you join Viriva, you become a shareholder (member-owner) along with all of our other members. It doesn’t matter if you have $5.00 or $500,000 in your account!
- We exist to serve our members, not to make a profit. Surplus income gets returned to our members in the form of lower service fees, higher interest rates on deposit accounts, and lower loan rates! We are what’s called a "Not-for-profit financial cooperative."
- We believe in People Helping People. The credit union industry as a whole was built on the principle of “people helping people”, which we at Viriva try to live and breathe in our words and actions on a daily basis.
► Scholarship Awards Ceremony - Attendance Required
Viriva will host a Scholarship Awards Ceremony during our Annual Meeting in April 2021. Details about the event will become available in late January 2021.
The chosen scholarship recipients are required to attend the Annual Meeting and Scholarship Ceremony. If the recipient cannot attend due to a verifiable conflict, a representative from the family may attend on the recipient's behalf.
Recipients will have the opportunity to share an excerpt of their essay or video with our meeting attendees.
► Award Acceptance
The proceeds of our scholarship will be paid in two equal installments. The funds will be deposited into the recipient's Viriva Savings Account upon the recipient taking the action steps listed below. Failure to submit all of the necessary documentation in a timely manner will result in a forfeit of the scholarship award without further notification.
- First Installment:
- Submit a copy of your roster/class schedule for the upcoming 2021 Fall Semester, or proof of enrollment letter from the school in which you will be attending
- Submit documentation showing a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or higher
- Second Installment:
- Submit a copy of your 2021 Fall Semester final grade report/transcript
- Submit documentation showing a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or higher
► Use of Awards
Use the Viriva Scholarship awards to alleviate various education costs.
- Room & Board
- And much more
2021 Scholarship Topics
Applicants can submit either a video or written essay on an approved topic. Select a topic below that pertains to your grade level:
► Students entering high school or existing high school students in their Freshmen, Sophomore, or Junior year:
Describe a time in your life when you experienced a struggle transitioning from being a “child” to a “young adult.” How has the experience impacted your view of the world?
► High school seniors entering their Freshman year of college or trade school:
Consider what your next step will be after graduation. Why did you choose this path, and where do you hope to be in 5 years?
► Continuing college students entering their Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year of college or trade school:
- In this day and age where the pandemic forced many colleges and students to adapt to a new normal, how has your college adjusted, and what impact has it had on your learning ability, college experience, and/or career goals?
Your submission must follow these rules. Be sure to review the Complete Contest Rules section for additional guidelines.
- Essay must be typed and have a minimum of 1500 words.
- Must refrain from using your last name within the written essay or video
- Video must be submitted electronically via email and hard disk
- Must have permission to use all content that’s filmed
- Video must not infringe on any third party rights
- Video must not exceed 10 minutes in length and 128GB in total size
- Video must be in: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP or WebM file formats
- No depiction of violence, profanity, sex, or the inclusion of attacks on individuals or organizations, or offensive material
Scholarship Guidelines for Both Video and Essay Submission:
- Must be a member of Viriva on or before March 8, 2021
- Content must be about one of the qualified topics
- Must submit a completed application form
- Must submit a typed essay or video file
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher
By submitting an essay/video to this contest, you grant Viriva an irrevocable, royalty-free license to copy, distribute, modify, display and perform publicly, and otherwise use, as well as authorize others to use, your video for any educational purpose and in any media format.
Viriva reserves the right to make your essay/video and or, your name and photograph available to the general public from our Web sites, other Internet sites associated with Viriva, newsletters, conferences, television, and other forms of media outlets.
Completed applications can be submitted through Viriva's Kaleidoscope Online Scholarship App or Download The Paper Application. The paper application should be submitted: to firstname.lastname@example.org; mailed to 1423 Spruce Street, Philadelphia PA 19102, c/o Marketing Department; or hand it in at any Viriva branch location on or before, March 8, 2021.
Additional Rules for Typed Entries Only:
- Must be a minimum of 1500 words
- Essay must be typed
- Must refrain from using the applicant's last name within the written essay.
Additional Rules for Video Entries Only:
- Must refrain from using the applicant's last name in the video
- Must submit the video electronically via email and hard disk to Viriva on or before the contest deadline
- Must have permission to use all content that’s filmed and must not infringe on any third party rights
- Videos must not exceed 10 minutes in length and 128GB in total size
- Video must be in: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP or WebM file formats (Videos that do not meet these requirements will be disqualified from this contest.)
- No depiction of violence, profanity, sex, or the inclusion of attacks on individuals or organizations, and otherwise offensive material, will be deemed unacceptable and will otherwise result in disqualification from this contest.