Participate in our Scholarship Contest
The 2019 Scholarship contest is now open. Submit either a video or written essay on an approved topic to enter. The application deadline has been extended through March 11, 2019. Please review the contest rules and eligibility below. Please email Marketing@Viriva.com for additional information.
Scholarship recipients, or acceptable representatives, will be required to attend an awards ceremony during Viriva’s 83rd Annual Meeting. The meeting will be held on Thursday, April 25, 2019.
Sallie Mae's Smart Option Student Loan
Choose the student loan that's right for you! The Smart Option Student Loan® by Sallie Mae® is for borrowers attending degree-granting institutions.
Whether you’re an undergraduate, graduate, or parent— our partner Sallie Mae® have options to meet your specific needs. Their loans are ideal solutions to help you pay for college expenses not covered by scholarships and federal loans.
Viriva Provides up to $5,000 in Total Awards Annually
- Two (2) $1,000 Scholarships to be awarded to qualifying high school seniors for their freshman
- year of college or trade/technical school
- One (1) $1,000 Scholarship to be awarded to a qualifying college or trade/technical school student entering his/her sophomore, junior, or senior year
- Two (2) $500 High School Scholarships to be awarded to qualifying high school students entering his/her freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year
- One (1) $1,000 Scholarship to be awarded to a qualifying adult that has had a gap in their education and is returning to or is continuing to further their education
Use Awards to Alleviate Various Education Costs
- Room & Board
- And much more
You can submit either a video or written essay on an Approved Topic.
Students beginning or continuing their education at high school, trade/technical school, or college Adults that have had a gap in their education and is returning to or is continuing to further their education. All applicants must possess a minimum 2.5 GPA or equivalent grade average.
Applicants MUST be a primary member of Viriva (define as being a primary Savings Account holder) on or before the scholarship deadline. Immediate family members of Scholarship Committee members are not eligible to apply for the scholarship during the year served. Staff, volunteers and their immediate family members are not qualified.
Who is eligible to join Viriva?
- Anyone who lives, works, worships, attends school, or volunteers in Bucks, Delaware, Montgomery or Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania
- Immediate family members of existing members
How to join:
Interested scholarship applicants who are not currently members of Viriva may apply for membership any time before the scholarship deadline. The only membership requirement is a minimum $5 deposit to open a Savings Account. For more information contact us at 888-7-Viriva.
Select the topic that pertains to your grade level:
STUDENTS ENTERING HIGH SCHOOL or EXISTING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS in their Freshmen, Sophomore or Junior year:
- Who has been your most important role model(s) and how have they positively influenced your life?
HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS entering their Freshman year of college or trade school:
- Tell us about your short and long-term education goals and how it can contribute to making a better society.
CONTINUING COLLEGE STUDENTS entering their Sophomore, Junior or Senior year of college or trade school:
- Tell us about a time you failed and what you learned from it.
RETURNING ADULT STUDENTS entering their Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior year of college or trade school:
- What is your personal definition of success?
Your submission must follow these rules. Be sure to review the Complete Contest Rules section for additional guidelines.
- Essay must be typed and have a minimum of 1500 words.
- Must refrain from using your last name within the written essay or video
- Video must be submitted electronically via email and hard disk
- Must have permission to use all content that’s filmed
- Video must not infringe on any third party rights
- Video must not exceed 10 minutes in length and 128GB in total size
- Video must be in: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP or WebM file formats
- No depiction of violence, profanity, sex, or the inclusion of attacks on individuals or organizations, or offensive material
Scholarship Guidelines for both Video and Essay submissions:
- Must be a member of Viriva
- Content must be about one of the qualified topics
- Must submit a completed application form
- Must submit a typed essay or video file
- Must submit an official copy of your transcript
- Must submit your report card or other official document which identifies your GPA as being equal to or greater than 2.5.
By submitting an essay/video to this contest, you grant to Viriva an irrevocable, royalty-free license to copy, distribute, modify, display and perform publicly, and otherwise use, as well as authorize others to use, your video for any educational purpose and in any media format.
Viriva reserves the right to make your essay/video and or, your name and photograph available to the general public from our Web sites, other Internet sites associated with Viriva, newsletters, conference, television and other forms of media outlets.
Completed applications can be submitted electronically by emailing all items to: Marketing@Viriva.com or mailed to: 1423 Spruce Street Philadelphia, PA 19102 Attn: Marketing.
Additional Rules for Typed Entries Only:
- Your essay must be a minimum of 1500 words
- Your essay must be typed
- You must refrain from using their last name within the written essay
Additional Rules for Video Entries Only:
- You must refrain from using their last name in the video.
- You must submit the video electronically via email and hard disk to Viriva on or before contest deadline.
- You must have permission to use all content that’s filmed. Your video must not infringe on any third party rights.
- Videos must not exceed 10 minutes in length and 128GB in total size. The video must be in: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP or WebM file formats. Videos that do not meet these requirements will be disqualified from this contest.
- No depiction of violence, profanity, sex, or the inclusion of attacks on individuals or organizations, and otherwise offensive material, will be deemed unacceptable and will otherwise result in disqualification from this contest.